Recently, I ran into an issue with the iOS Message app being stuck upside down on an iPad. By that, I mean it would not rotate to the right orientation and was facing 180 from the power button. The first thing I checked was the rotational lock, but that wasn’t enabled (and, besides, all other apps were rotated correctly). My next thought was to close and reopen the app, in hopes that restarting it would fix it. Luckily, that worked. Here’s how to close and restart an app:
- Tap the Home button one time (to get back to the Home Screen)
- After you’re on the Home Screen, wait a couple seconds, the double-tap the Home button. (This will bring up the multi-tasking bar at the bottom of the screen)
- Tap and hold on the Message app icon (or any icon, for that matter) in the multi-tasking bar until the icons start to jiggle. The jiggling icons should also have a red circle with a white minus sign (-) in the corner.
- Tap the red circle with the white minus sign in the corner of the Message app.
- Tap the Home button to close the multi-tasking ba.
- Open the Message app back up.
Hopefully, the Message app will now be rotated right-side up, as it should be!